Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Comic Book / Graphic Novel Review: The Flash (2016-) Vol. 1: Lightning Strikes Twice by Joshua Williamson


The Flash (2016-) Vol. 1: Lightning Strikes Twice

by Joshua Williamson

(DC Entertainment; DC Comics)


Goodreads Description:

A part of DC Universe: Rebirth!

A new storm brews over Central City and disproves the old adage about lightning never, well...you know. Just as Barry begins to feel overwhelmed fighting crime, a new speedster debuts--but just where did this amazing new friend come from? Spinning directly out of the epic events of DC Universe: Rebirth, the Fastest Man Alive finds himself at the center of a DC Universe at a crossroads--and reeling from the reemergence of his protegee, Wally West!

From up and coming writer Joshua Williamson (Illuminati, Red Skull) and illustrator Carmine Di Giandomenico comes The Flash, Vol. 1: Lightning Strikes Twice!

Collecting: The Flash: Rebirth, 1-8

Book Information:

Kindle File Size: 242795 KB
Print Length: 216 pages
Publisher: DC
Publication Date: January 24, 2017
Amazon Link:  http://amzn.to/2jf86al

My Review:

I've recently branched out into the world of comic books / graphic novels.  As a lover of all things The Flash, Arrow, and Legends of Tomorrow on the CW, I found by requesting The Flash: Lightning Strikes Twice from NetGalley that I enjoy a good comic/graphic novel.

The Flash Vol. 1 finds Central City overrun by untrained speedsters after the city is hit by a speedforce storm.  These new speedsters, who've been hit by speedforce infused lightning, are a mix of those who want the speed to use for good, those who want it for evil purposes, and those who don't want the speed at all.  Barry then decides to start a training program for all of the new speedsters.  As the new speedsters are learning how to use and control what they've been given, a villain by the name of Godspeed enters the fray.  Now, the new speedsters are disappearing and Barry must figure out why while also figuring out a way to stop Godspeed.

Just a note:  I'm not a seasoned comic book / graphic novel aficionado, therefore, my review may seem simplistic and and not at all in-depth.  Sorry (not sorry).  I chose this graphic novel to request to review from NetGalley because I'm a new fan of The Flash and Arrow on CW and I'm glad I did and was approved.  I really enjoyed the comic.  The art was eye-catching and remarkable for my untrained eye.  The story unfolded in a way that thoroughly engaged me from the start. I have no complaints other than the predictability of the villain.  I liked this Barry (not at much as Grant Gustin's "Barry") and found the dialogue of all characters to flow well.  Collectively, they all told a great story.

Would I read another comic / graphic novel by Joshua Williamson?  Definitely.

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this graphic novel provided to my through NetGalley.

My Rating:


No comments: