Thursday, June 23, 2016

#Review ~ Murder on the Menu (A Celebrity Mystery, Book 1) by Zanna Mackenzie #CozyMystery @ZannaMacKenzie



Murder on the Menu
by Zanna Mackenzie

File Size: 1093 KB
Print Length: 266 pages
Publication Date: September 24, 2015
ASIN: B015T6EYEW


About the Book:

After Lizzie’s new boss, celebrity chef Armand, is stabbed in his own kitchen, Lizzie finds herself at the top of the suspect list.

Determined to clear her name she’s forced to enlist the services of her new neighbour, Celebrity Crimes Investigation Agency (CCIA) special agent Jack Mathis, who’s been suspended from his duties for reasons unknown.

Can Lizzie save herself from getting arrested and manage to resist her special agent sidekick’s considerable charms and gorgeous smile? Will they solve the culinary murder mystery or will she end up in a prison cell?

My Review:

After severing ties with her life in London, Lizzie comes back to her hometown to run the small farm left to her by relatives.  In order to make ends meet, Lizzie works for an upscale restaurant that is owned by an octopus.  After a particularly long shift with Armand, the owner, Lizzie is glad for an escape.  The next morning she returns to work only to be told that he's been murdered.  As the last person to see him alive, Lizzie is now suspect number one.

Fortunately, her neighbor's brother is in town and has offered to use his investigative skills to help Lizzie.  Jack is away from his job as a special agent and wants nothing more than to put his training to good use...and possibly get to know Lizzie a little bit better.  The adventure that follows is full of twists, turns, and surprises.

I enjoyed Murder on the Menu.  The story was easy to follow and very interesting.  I was engaged from the very beginning and found the book to be hard to put down.  Lizzie is a feisty and likable protagonist and Jack makes a wonderful hero.  There is an instant connection between them regardless of Lizzie's "no relationship" status.  I enjoyed the couple's interactions as they try to solve the mystery that threatens to put Lizzie behind bars.

The only hiccup for me was the use of 1st person narrative.  It's not my favorite - but that's my opinion and isn't reflected in my review or rating choice.  I added it to my review as more of a "hey, I'm letting you know" kind of thing.

If you're looking for an easy and light read, then I suggest Murder on the Menu.  The culprit may be who you think it is from the very beginning...but then again...maybe not ::wink::

Review copy courtesy of the author at no cost in exchange for an honest review.

My Rating:



I am part of the Craving for Cozies Challenge 2016.

See my list of Cozies here:

Praise:

A fun combination of mystery, romance and scandal!

Murder on the Menu was a charming, light-hearted mystery with a fun heroine and witty dialogue.

This was a really fun read! Lizzie and Jack make a good team and their interactions can be hilarious at times.

If you enjoy a cozy mystery with a celebrity murder, a little romance, lots of suspects, a challenging plot, likeable characters, set in a pretty English village — then you’re going to love Murder on the Menu.

About The Author:


I write romantic comedy mysteries and when I’m not writing I can be found gardening (trying to grow tomatoes in the British climate is a major challenge!) walking the dogs or reading.

I’m a former therapist, a fan of the great outdoors – especially Scotland, the Lake District and Derbyshire’s Peak district – and also something of a dreamer!

Home is a village on the Derbyshire / Leicestershire border in the UK with my husband, our 4 Labrador dogs, a vegetable patch that’s home to far too many weeds and an ever expanding library of books waiting to be read.

At every opportunity I can be found scribbling down notes on scenes for whatever novel I’m working on and I love it when the characters in my work in progress novels take on minds of their own and start deviating from the original plot!


Find Zanna on social media:


Purchase Link:

No comments: