Tuesday, May 24, 2016

#Book #Review: Murder At Morningside by Sandra Bretting #CozyMystery


About Murder at Morningside:

Hat designer Missy DuBois opened her shop, Crowning Glory, along Louisiana's Great River Road to cater to the sophisticated Southern bride. But bless her heart, who knew creating stylish wedding veils would lead to murder? 

Hired to craft a veil for a socialite getting married at Morningside Plantation means Missy can bask in the height of antebellum atmosphere. But when the bride is found dead in a women's bathroom, Missy the milliner finds herself entangled in one unfashionable murder. With the list of suspects thicker than the sweltering Louisiana heat, including a gaggle of bridesmaids shedding nary a tear and a family with no shortage of enemies, it seems anyone at the mansion may have done away with the bride-to-be. While Missy has Southern charm to spare, she's going to need more than manners and a manicure to put a hat pin on this murderous affair . . .

Book Details:

Print Length: 190 pages
Publisher: Lyrical Underground (May 24, 2016)
Publication Date: May 24, 2016
Sold by: Penguin Random House Publisher Services
ASIN: B014NWMHEW

Goodreads Link:


My Review:

Murder at Morningside is a smart and engaging cozy mystery from Sandra Bretting.  Set in the south, the mannerisms and phrases used are excellently carried out.  I was born in Michigan but half of my roots are in the south.  Therefore, many of the sayings uttered by not only the protagonist, Missy, but the entire ensemble, are quite familiar to me.  I enjoyed the familiarity of them as I read through the book.

The plot itself was nicely executed and pretty solid.  I enjoyed the multiple threads involving the murder, the fiance's secrets, the father's unscrupulousness, the chef, and among others.  There are many twists, turns, viable suspects, and diversions along the way.  The author did a great job concealing the real suspect(s) and the reasons why the murder was committed.  

The only issue I have concerns when Missy was found breaking and entering a home that clearly wasn't hers.  Regardless of the outcome of the book, the lack of any sort of discipline, even as simple as a lecture and warning, was a glaring problem.  No one really questioned why Missy was where she was at or brought up the many reasons why the evidence she found could be considered inadmissible since it didn't go through the proper channels.  Then again, what do I know about crime scene or potential evidence procedures.

I really enjoyed the book.  So much, in fact, that I read it in just over a day.  I love the connection between Missy and her best friend, the talented Ambrose.  There is a definite connection between them that I hope is explored in future books.  Missy and Ambrose clearly care for one another and make a great team.  Ambrose creates gowns and Missy creates wedding veils.  Together they rule the most prestigious of southern belle weddings.  

I cannot wait to see where Sandra Bretting takes us next in the adventures of Missy and Ambrose!

Review copy courtesy of the author at no cost in exchange for an honest review.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.

My Rating:


I am part of the Craving for Cozies Challenge 2016. 

See my list of Cozies here:


No comments: