Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Book #Review: Black Widow (Elemental Assassin Series, Book 12) by Jennifer Estep


About the Book:

Lethal, sexy, and always ready to protect her friends, Gin Blanco (a.k.a. the Spider) takes on the mysterious M.M. Monroe in book twelve of the New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series.

There’s nothing worse than a cruel, cunning enemy with time to kill—and my murder to plan. With wicked Fire elemental Mab Monroe long gone, you’d think I could finally catch a break. But someone’s always trying to take me down, either as Gin Blanco or my assassin alter-ago. Now along comes the Spider’s new arch-nemesis, the mysteriously named M. M. Monroe, who is gleefully working overtime to trap me in a sticky web of deceit.

The thing is, I’m not the only target. I can see through the tangled threads enough to know that every bit of bad luck my friends have been having lately is no accident—and that each unfortunate “coincidence” is just one more arrow drawing ever closer to hitting the real bull’s-eye. Though new to Ashland, this M. M. Monroe is no stranger to irony, trying to get me, an assassin, framed for murder. Yet, as my enemy’s master plan is slowly revealed, I have a sinking feeling that it will take more than my powerful Ice and Stone magic to stop my whole life from going up in flames.

Book Details:

File Size: 2989 KB
Print Length: 385 pages
Publisher: Pocket Books (November 25, 2014)
Publication Date: November 25, 2014
Sold by: Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
ASIN: B00IWTWJD2

My Review:

Links to my reviews of previous books in series ~

Spider's Bite, Book 1:

Web of Lies, Book 2:

Venom, Book 3:

Tangled Threads, Book 4:

Spider's Revenge, Book 5:

By A Thread, Book 6:

Widow's Web, Book 7:

Deadly Sting, Book 8:

Heart of Venom, Book 9:
http://saphsbookblog.blogspot.com/2015/09/review-heart-of-venom-elemental.html

The Spider, Book 10:

Poison Promise, Book 11:
http://saphsbookblog.blogspot.com/2016/03/book-review-poison-promise-elemental.html

(Book 11 Spoiler) ~ Gin dispatched the drug dealer, Beauregard Benson in Poison Promise but, as suspected, he was just simply that - a dealer.  He hadn't lived long enough to replicate "Burn" and become Ashland's manufacturer of the drug.  Gin learned the hard way exactly what "Burn" did to elementals but was able to figure out exactly what special ingredient was in the drug that Benson was unable to decipher.

In Black Widow, the readers -and Gin- finally figure out the identity of M.M. Monroe.  If you recall, from Deadly Sting, Book 8, Mab Monroe left an heir to her empire.  That heir has finally arisen in the heart of Ashland ready to take over where Mab left off after her death.  M.M. Monroe isn't satisfied with just waltzing and taking over as head of the underworld.  The complete and utter destruction of Gin and her family is also on the menu.  Systematically, and one-by-one, each person that Gin holds dear suffers some sort of calamity or set up.  It's going to take cunning, sneakiness, and down right dangerous plans in order to take back the lives that are being stolen from all of them.

The action in this book is astounding.  My heart was pounding and I was on the edge of my seat as Gin tried to unravel the mess that M.M. Monroe pulled down around her.  I was angry at the tactics used against Gin, Owen, Finn, Bria, Sophia, Jojo, and others in the book.  The corruption of everyone in Ashland is scary - everyone can be bought.   I found myself totally engrossed in the novel and Black Widow is one of the few books in the series that I read in one day.

Black Widow is another fantastic installment of the Elemental Assassin series. The entire series has pulled me in and kept me engaged from the very beginning. These are the types of books that have me longing for the next one. They are written with vivid descriptions and genuine feelings, allowing the reader to become totally immersed in this world.

My review copy was courtesy of the publisher via NetGalley, at no cost in exchange for an honest review.

My Rating:


No comments: