Sunday, February 7, 2016

Book #Review: Wingless and Damned (The Damned Series, Volume 1) by Dawn White


About the Book:

Alexander is the Alpha wolf of the Neuri werewolf tribe, set to destroy anything associated with the dreaded strigoi. Lea is a magnificent Fae -- or so she believed but she soon discovers she may not be after all. With Alexander, Lea’s and basically the worlds fate is in the hands of the mated pair. They must act fast and not just on the revenge they so desperately need. Can their love save us all? As Lea and Alexander’s souls hang in the balance they come to realize we are all a little Damned.

Book Details:

Kiindle File Size: 958 KB
Print Length: 230 pages
Publisher: Nevermore Press (May 5, 2013)
Publication Date: May 5, 2013
ASIN: B00CO8HPKY

My Review:

Wingless and Damned begins in 1700BC Greece.  A monster has been unleashed after the sacrifice of Aison's human love, Kora.  The prologue sets the stage for a jump into 1810 in the Adirondack Mountains, New York.  A young child, Alexander, has been attacked and the new medicine woman, Ciarra, has healed him.  

Per a legend, the Strigoi are attacking the tribe members.  Ciarra's spirit guide reveals to her that the only way to battle the Strigoi is to use a transformation spell.  The tribe members will be fighting the vampires as wolves.  What was supposed to be a temporary thing actually continues to happen as long as their are vampires.

Jump to present day and tribe members transform when they are in their 20's.  Lea has been raised with fae only to discover that she has more in common with the tribe than those she grew up with.  It is now a joint effort to transform into wolves, destroy the vampires, and end the tribe's curse.

When I have to rate a book less than 3 stars it increases my anxiety to a very high level.  This is why a book must absolutely not be my cup of tea to get this low of a rating.  I hate to say it but Wingless and Damned was a 2 Star Book, at best, for me.  I gave it my all - really, I did.  I tried reading it 3 different times since I purchased it from Amazon in 2013.  

I had high hopes for Wingless and Damned.  The premise is about werewolves and vampires - 2 of my favorite paranormal creatures.  The weaving in of Native American lore was a great addition to the story.  Unfortunately, the dialogue was choppy and uneven.  I had a hard time reading the book.  The changes in POV and scenes is abrupt and causes a lot of confusion.  It's really hard to keep up with what's going on.  The first person voice needs some polishing, as well.  I'm not a fan of that style of writing to begin with but if done right, I get over it.  

Please take my review with a grain of salt.  You may actually love the story.  It just wasn't one that I could get into or connect with.  It happens.

Review copy is a verified Amazon purchase.

My Rating:



No comments: