Saturday, January 2, 2016

Book Review: Cinderella Screwed Me Over by Cindi Madsen



About the Book from the Back Cover:

Darby Quinn has a bone to pick with Cinderella.  Burned one too many times by ex-boyfriends, Darby has lost all belief in the happily-ever-after that the fairy-tale princess promised her.  She's sworn off love, Prince Charmings, and happy endings and she's happy about it.  Really.  Or at least she was...until she met Jake, her gorgeous neighbor and the manager of her favorite restaurant.  But Darby has rules about dating, ones she's culled from her years spent with so-called "princes," and staring something with Jake would break all of them.

Charming, fun, and unwilling to give up on her, Jake doesn't fit any of the profiles Darby has created from her case studies of ex-princes-gone-bad.  Finally presented with her own Prince Charming, can Darby take a chance on a happily-ever-after?

Book Details:

Paperback: 400 pages
Publisher: Entangled: Select (October 22, 2013)
ISBN-10: 1622660315
ISBN-13: 978-1622660315
Product Dimensions: 5.8 x 0.9 x 8.1 inches

Amazon Link:


My Review:

I did NOT want this book to end.  I fell in love with both Darby and Jake.  I felt like I could relate to Darby on so many levels.  She doesn't have the greatest dating record.  Some of the guys she dated were your typical teenage disasters and I expected her analysis of those case studies to be pretty accurate.  As she moved into her 20's the relationships matured a bit more but each of them lacked something.  I understand her skepticism toward relationships and her cynicism.  A girl can only take so much heartache, right?!  Then she meets Jake.

Jake is the most kindhearted and persistent man, making him the perfect hero.  Even after Darby falsely accuses him of being a liar and rejects him, Jake keeps trying to win her heart.  He's patient, and tries to woo her without it feeling stalkerish.  He wants to be the Prince to her Princess but it's hard to do when the Princess has a complete opposite view of love than most people.  The author writes these two imperfect people quite...ah...perfectly.  

I was married to my first husband at the age of 22  and were divorced shortly after I turned 27.  My grand illusions of marriage were shattered.  Our communication sucked and we were both stubborn.  Not once in the entire time that we were together were we ever on the same page about anything.  I've been divorced from him for 12 years and it took me a while to accept that perhaps we both were at fault for some of the issues we had....::gasp::.  

During the following 4 years are when I can really relate to Darby.  I dated liars, cheaters, and one guy that told me he was single until I met him and his fiance while I was out and about one day.  I was mortified to realize that I was "the other woman" and I felt so bad.  After so many tumultuous relationships, I told myself that I was never getting married again nor was I ever going to live with anyone ever again.  It was while I was casually dating a guy that I met the man that very well could be my Prince - so much for no more serious relationships.  

In the matter of a month and a half, I quit my job, abandoned my townhouse, and moved over an hour away to be with said man.  I've now been married to my second husband for 6 1/2 years.  Neither one of us were looking for anything serious and we certainly weren't looking for forever.  It's funny how things don't always stay the way you have them planned out.

Anyway, Cinderella Screwed Me Over is one of best romance stories I have ever read.  The plot flowed along nicely and everything made sense.  The author created a believable world in Denver and surrounding areas.  The character building was done well and the characters and story are strong, well constructed, and believable.  There is snark and humor, as well as sadness and despair.  It was hard to see Darby and Jake during certain parts of the book - I felt all of their emotions like the scenes were happening to me.

I loved watching Darby's character change throughout the book.  Jake was able to pull a different part of her out, a part that scared her.  At certain points I wanted to strangle Darby because she was just being completely ridiculous.  It's one thing to be jaded by past relationships and something entirely different to face something good head-on and undermine her own feelings.  

I was completely engaged in the novel from the very beginning and highly recommend it to everyone that loves a sweet, yet frustrating, romance!!

Review copy was given to me as a gift!

Rating:


No comments: