Thursday, August 6, 2015

Review: Spellcasting in Silk (A Witchcraft Mystery, Book 7) by Juliet Blackwell


Synopsis from the Back Cover:

Lily would like nothing better than to relax, enjoy her friends, and take care of business at her store, which is booming, thanks to San Francisco's upcoming Summer of Love Festival.  But as the unofficial witchy consultant to the SFPD, she is pulled into yet another case.

A woman has jumped from the Golden Gate Bridge, and her apparent suicide may be connected to a suspicious botanica in the Mission district.  When the police investigate the shop, they ask Lily to look into its mysterious owner, whose granddaughter also appears to be missing.  As Lily searches for the truth, she finds herself confronted with a confounding mystery and some very powerful magic....

Book Details:

Series: Witchcraft Mystery (Book 7)
Mass Market Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: NAL (July 7, 2015)
ISBN-10: 0451465784
ISBN-13: 978-0451465788

Amazon Link:

Spellcasting in Silk: A Witchcraft Mystery

My Reviews of the Previous Books in the Series:

Book 1:     Secondhand Spirits

Book 2:     A Cast-Off Coven

Book 3:     Hexes and Hemlines

Book 4:     In A Witch's Wardrobe

Book 5:     Tarnished and Torn

Book 6:     A Vision in Velvet


My Review of Spellcasting in Silk:

All Lily wants is one day - one day that doesn't involve murder, suspicious deaths, kidnappings, or the like. As quoted by Inspector Carlos Romero ~ "Today's not that day" (Blackwell, J., 2015, pg. 4). The newest mystery involves a suicide that may be anything but, a shop owner jailed for possibly being involved, and a missing child.

As Inspector Romero's unofficial consultant of all things paranormal, he comes to Lily due to sudden and extreme activity in El Pajarito, the store owned by Ursula Moreno.  When Ursula is arrested in connection to the "suicide" of Nicky Utley, strange things begin to happen inside the store.  Could this be the work of a missing teen or is something else going on inside the store?  And why do the goings-on revolve around the magical community as a whole?

I found that Spellcasting in Silk had a couple different storylines.  The main one involves the suicide, murder suspicious, and missing teen as I wrote about above.  The other part concerns Lily. I feel as if some of the scenes were a set up for what could possible be a huge magical disturbance.  I also got the feeling that we're in for surprises down the road concerning Sailor and Lily.   This installment in the Witchcraft Mystery series was, even at the end, mysterious in itself.  There is something brewing and I only hope that Lily can weather the storm.

Lily is simply an amazing and down-to-earth witch.  I have watched her grow so much from book 1 until now.  She is embracing who she is finally and allowing others into her life without all of the doubt and suspicion, getting more comfortable with her surroundings in each book. She has friends that accept her for who she is and what she does, a very successful resale shop, and a familiar that sometimes just steals the show. Her brooding companion, Sailor, has some great dialogue and wit.  A side note, however; while I enjoy Sailor, I'm still not positive I like him for Lily.

I love the banter between Aidan and Lily.  Like Lily, I'm not sure I trust him, but I find his character charming, well-written, and entertaining.  Inspector Romero seems to open up a bit more in Spellcasting in Silk, too.  I've always like his brief appearances in the series but this installment touches a different side of him.

I absolutely love this series.  Each story develops nicely and takes the reader on a brand new adventure in the world of the paranormal. The novels are suitable for anyone who wants to read them - teens, adults who don't like sex or swearing, adult who do like those things but also like the cozy mystery scene, too (like me).

If you're looking for your next cozy series then I highly recommend Juliet Blackwell's Witchcraft Mysteries. They are written well, have great storylines, solid plots, and easy-to-like characters. The dialogue between all characters is smooth and understandable and the novel is an easy, relaxing read.

Review copy ~ I purchased this review copy from Amazon.

My Rating:


(Yes, I loved Spellcasting in Silk this much!!)

No comments: