Sunday, August 16, 2015

Review: By A Thread (Elemental Assassin, Book 6) by Jennifer Estep


Synopsis from the Back Cover of the Mass Market Paperback:

When killing people is your job, there's no such thing as a vacation.

Then again, how often does an assassin live long enough to enjoy her retirement?  In this line of work, you either get lucky or you get dead.  And since I destroyed my nemesis Mab Monroe a few weeks ago, all of Ashland's low-lifes are gunning to make a name for themselves by taking out the lethal Spider--me, Gin Blanco.  So I'm leaving behind my beloved barbeque joint and heading south with my baby sister, Bria, to cool my heels in a swanky beach town.

Call it a weekend of fun in the sun.  But when a powerful vampire with deadly elemental magic threatens an old friend of Bria's, it looks like I'll have to dig my silverstone knives out of my suitcase after all.

Complicating matters further is the reappearance of Detective Donovan Caine, my old lover.  But Donovan is the least of my problems.  Because this time, the danger is got on my trail, and not even my elemental Ice and Stone magic may be enough to save me from getting buried in the sand - permanently.

Book Details:

Series: Elemental Assassin (Book 6)
Mass Market Paperback: 384 pages
Publisher: Pocket Books; Original edition (February 28, 2012)
ISBN-10: 1451651767
ISBN-13: 978-1451651768

Links to My Review of Previous Books in the Series:

Spider's Bite, Book 1:
http://saphsbookblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/review-spiders-bite-elemental-assassin.html

Web of Lies, Book 2:
http://saphsbookblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/review-web-of-lies-elemental-assassin.html

Venom, Book 3:
http://saphsbookblog.blogspot.com/2014/09/review-venom-elemental-assassin-book-3.html

Tangled Threads, Book 4:
http://saphsbookblog.blogspot.com/2014/09/review-tangled-threads-elemental.html

Spider's Revenge, Book 5:

My Review of By A Thread:

This is a series and each book plays off of the one before it (except, of course, book 1). That being said, parts of the review of Book 6 will contain information that was previously disclosed in one or all 5 of the previous books.

Hesitant to leave Ashland, all it takes is one more person to challenge her, and Gin finally agrees with Finn. Gin and Bria decide to head to Blue Marsh, where Bria grew up after Mab Monroe killed their entire family save Gin. Gin suggests they head out a day ahead of the guys, Finn and Owen, in hopes that she and Bria can connect and bond without the distraction of The Spider and those that are still gunning for her.
Unfortunately, once an assassin, always an assassin, especially when someone threatens the friends of her sister. It seems that one Mr. Randall Dekes, a very powerful and very rich vampire, wants to buy the entire island of Blue Marsh - and the only person left standing in his way is Bria's friend. All is going as planned until Gin realizes, too late, that Dekes knows exactly who she is. Apparently, her "friend" Jonah McAllister ratted her out and has, once again, put Gin's life in danger. Oh, an Dekes isn't exactly what he seems to be - He's far worse!!

It's up to Gin and her family to bring an end to Dekes before more lives are lost but can they do it without any casualties of their own?

The appearance of Donovan Caine had me wondering exactly how this storyline in the book was going to turn out. Gin still has feelings for him but his actions toward her in the past were cruel. He's conflicted about Gin, who she is, and what she stands for - yet neither Gin nor Donovan can deny the chemistry they had. In fact, it still sizzles a little in parts of the book (not sizzle as in they end up in bed - they don't) but the sparks of sexual tension are there. I found that Gin handled things like the professional that she is (no, she didn't kill Donovan) and their storyline wrapped up just like it should have.

By A Thread is another fantastic installment of the Elemental Assassin series. The entire series so far has pulled me in and kept me engaged from the very beginning. These are the types of books that have me longing for the next one. They are written with vivid descriptions and genuine feelings, allowing the reader to become totally immersed in this world. The world building continues in By A Thread, this time focusing on the location of Bria's childhood.

My review copy was courtesy of my local library, where I take full advantage of our interlibrary loan program. If my library doesn't have the books I want, they will have them sent from a library in Michigan at absolutely no cost to me.

Oh, and by the way, the author's previous overuse of "get dead" and "5 point arsenal" isn't nearly as bad in this book.  There wasn't really anything in the book that I didn't like or that annoyed me.

Rating:


Amazon Link:

By a Thread (Elemental Assassin)

No comments: