Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Day After Release Day Review: Dead Man Walker (Consignment Shop Mystery, Book #3.5) by Duffy Brown

(Photo courtesy of goodreads.com)

About Dead Man Walker:
(Courtesy of netgalley.com)

It’s springtime in Savannah, the azaleas and magnolias are in bloom, and Reagan Summerside’s consignment shop, the Prissy Fox, is bustling with customers out to enjoy the beautiful weather. On a day like today, what could go wrong?

As a mortician beautician and housekeeper, Mercedes is no stranger to corpses or messy bathrooms. But the last thing she expects to find in a client’s bathtub is a dead body! Now she’s a murder suspect and it seems like her life is going down the drain. She turns to local lawyer Walker Boone to get her out of hot water.

But Walker has his own surprising connections to the dead man in the tub, and now he needs Reagan’s help to clear his own name—and keep him alive.

Book Details:

Kindle File Size: 1004 KB
Print Length: 71 pages
Publisher: Berkley (February 3, 2015)
Sold by: Penguin Group (USA) LLC
ASIN: B00KGH5GVA

Add Dead Man Walkeron Goodreads:


Purchase on Amazon:


My Review:

My Review of Book One, Iced Chiffon, can be found HERE!

My Review of Book Two, Killer in Crinolines, can be found HERE!

My Review of Book Three, Pearls and Poison, can be found HERE!

As many of you know, cozy mysteries are my favorite genre.  Every other genre I read is tied for 2nd place. :)

The Consignment Shop Mysteries by Duffy Brown are spectacular and always keep me anticipating the next book.  Dead Man Walker, the 71 page novella that is #3.5 in the series is no exception.   Except that Duffy did a bad, bad thing .... she made book 3.5 a cliffhanger - as if I wasn't already anxiously awaiting book 4 - now it's even more so.  Well played, Ms. Brown, well played!

I'm going to forgo the usual synopsis - the one posted above is the same one from NetGalley - and gives all the information you need about Dead Man Walking.

Dead Man Walker has an unusual twist to it that the first three books don't have - This novella is told from Boone Walker's Point of View.  The reader gets a male perspective in what is generally a female dominated series.  There are hints about how Walker perceives and views Reagan that we've only gotten a trickle of in the other books.  I enjoyed Walker's POV very much.

Dead Man Walker is an exceptional novella in the Consignment Shop Mystery series.  Something is up the town of Savannah and Walker ends up smack dab in the middle of it.  He learns things about his past that he's less than ecstatic about.  Walker also finds himself relying on Reagan to help him out of his predicament.  Will Reagan be able to unravel the knots leading to Boone or will he truly become "Dead Man Walker?"

This is a lead in to Book 4, Demise in Denim, and it's a must read.  The sass is back, the humor abounds, and there's a mystery afoot!

Review copy courtesy of the author and the publisher, at no cost, in exchange for an honest review.

My Rating:



6 comments:

Duffy Brown said...

Wow!!!!!! Thanks so much for the terrific review. So glad you had fun with Walker, Reagan and Auntie KiKi. Looove your blurb. What a keeper. Thanks tons!
Hugs, Duffy

Sapphyria said...

You're very welcome :)

ceblain said...

I really loved Sapphyria's blog post today as Duffy Brown is one of my favorite cozy authors The Consignment Shop series is wonderful and the addition of the character of Walker is amazing. I know that he will have a lot more impact on future stories and I love his interaction with Reagan and the others. Having his viewpoint in this book is wonderful. Thanks for the great blog and to Duffy for the great and fun writing which I enjoy so much.
Sincerely,
Cynthia

Sapphyria said...

Thank you Cynthia!! Please check out the right side bar my blog and enter to win a tote bag from Duffy :)

ceblain said...

Sapphyria's posting today is exactly what I was sure that this novella would be reviewed as and I for one, cannot wait to get it and get it read as soon as I can. I think having Walker's point of view will give a lot of information for future books without all of the guessing, but I know that there are many more mysteries in this character for us to find out about later on. Duffy's Consignment Shop series hits all of my senses, and the comic asp0ect is wonderful for someone who doesn't get a chance to live a very exciting life herself.. haha

Thank you for the information. Wishing you many more new readers Duffy. I spread the word as much as I can.

Hugs,
Cynthia

I thought his comment was lost and so now there are two of them.

Sapphyria said...

No worries, Cynthia! Thank you so much for all the shout outs to Duffy and for my review!