Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Virtual Tour - Review/Guest Post: "Royally BeSwitched" by Molly Snow (BeSwitched Series, Book #3)

Today I have the pleasure of welcoming the BeSwitched series author, Molly Snow, to the blog where she is going to celebrate the release of "Royally BeSwitched" with her post "My Own Forbidden Love Tale, In Celebration of Royally BeSwitched."

"In The BeSwitched series, the magical black cat, Surla, falls head over heels for teen warlock, Jax Morreau. Since Surla switches bodies with girls, it isn’t too much of a leap to imagine her feelings have some validity. In Royally BeSwitched these feelings are heightened as she is sent back alone in time with her crush to 1730 France. Not only does the book follow these two, but another pair who are plagued with a love that is forbidden--a prince and a peasant. With the theme of forbidden love, I thought I would share my own experience with forbidden love—My brother’s best friend.

If you have an older brother, there is a probability that you have crushed over one or more of his friends. If you were like me, you would run in the opposite direction of your crush, because you were so intimated around him. He was the cute guy who would come over after school, raid your kitchen and skateboard or play guitar with your brother (okay, the last part is customized to my experience). If you never experienced this, try imagining your school crush coming over on a daily basis.

I was definitely the shy type. I remember once my mom telling me to go to my brother’s room to pass a message. I went, not knowing my brother had him in there, laying down, playing guitar with his shirt off! Another time, my family drove together to drop my brother off at the airport. The best friend came along for the ride. It was no usual drive, since he fell asleep and his head and arm slumped against me. I didn’t move a muscle the entire time, in fear of waking him up. When it was time to get out of the car, my right side was numb.

With the title of best friend to my brother, that meant he was off limits anyway (as if I had the guts to make a move on him in the first place, right?) Well, after a couple years went by, I did muster the guts to approach him, rather than run in the opposite direction. And you know what? It worked! He liked me back! Whee! But, then I saw my brother, pull up a chair across from us, fold his arms and shake his head at us, acknowledging the forbidden-ness of what we were doing.

You guessed right. Things did not go well or easy after that. My brother fought with his best friend—my new boyfriend—a lot over the fact that I was dating him. Confusion took over the household. Who is he over seeing this time? They even had a pushing match in front of me, because my brother was in my face telling me to break up with him.

Ahhh, but time does heal many things. My friends were catching my brother’s interest. He dated three of them, in fact! My brother accepted the reality that we were together. That forbidden love bloomed eventually into a marriage. And guess what? They are now not only friends, but brothers-in-law. It all worked out for them and for me, which brings me to the message of my guest post on Forbidden Love—Sometimes it is meant to be...
----------
Don’t forget to check out my blog, http://mollysnowfiction.blogspot.com June 21st-22nd to download a free ecopy of the 2nd book in the series, BeSwitched Witch."

Book Details:

File Size: 420 KB
Print Length: 162 pages
Publisher: Breezy Reads (June 10, 2012)
ASIN: B008AMCR6U
ARC of "Royally BeSwitched" Provided By: Molly Snow, author, in exchange for an honest review.
Breezy Reads
E-Book Publishing Company
http://www.breezyreads.com
http://mollysnowfiction.blogspot.com
http://zoeyandclaire.blogspot.com

Synopsis Courtesy of Goodreads:

Hexed from a small suburb in the U.S. back to 1700's France, a magical black cat, Surla, and her human crush, Jax Morreau, have no idea what troubles await.

When Jax’s distant relatives, a lowly maidservant and a prince, miss their chance at love, evil gains a stronghold in the Morreau Kingdom. It’s up to the duo from the future to reset the course of love before it’s too late. Surla, the cat, will do anything, including switch bodies with the maidservant, to clean up the royal mess.


Saph's Review:

Here are the reviews of Book1, "BeSwitched" and Book 2, "BeSwitched Witch".

In Book 3, Royally BeSwitched, Jax finds himself, along with Surla in her cat form, in 1700's France after being sent there at the end of Book 2, "BeSwitched Witch." After getting somewhat acclimated to the surroundings, Jax realizes that his ancestors are in trouble. Two of his ancestors aren't developing feelings for one another as they should be. If he can't get Prince Nicholas to marry one of the maids, Noella, then the Morreau family line will be forever changed. Jax and Surla must figure out a way to reunite Nicholas and Noella while they have the chance. Thwarting their efforts is a black Sorceress, Esme, and her partner-in-crime, the King's trusted council, Sinclair. What results is the revelation of past family secrets that come as a total surprise.

Molly Snow does an absolutely fantastic job bring Book 3 full circle and revealing the history of Surla. We find out a lot about Surla and how she fits in with what is going on in the Morreau Kingdom. She develops each character quite well and we see the main characters from all 3 books grow and mature before our very eyes. Jax is still very likeable, making it easy to root for him. Nicholas is a well written character and it's not hard to see why all of the ladies in the Kingdom are vying for his attention. Cathy, a main character from Book 1, and a secondary character from Book 2, is in Book 3 in name only, which was kind of disappointing. It wouldn't have made sense to have her in this installment, however, because her lineage has absolutely nothing to do with the plot or theme of Book 3.  The antagonists, Esme and Sinclair, are pure evil and have been written well in that regard.

There is a part in the book that seems rushed, and while what transpires might have been appropriate for the characters of the time period , it isn't as accepted now.  And being that 2 of the characters don't belong in the 1700's and are insinuated to be going back to their correct time in the future, the event seems a bit far fetched.  It doesn't detract from the novel at all, just a point to ponder.

That being said, "Royally BeSwitched" is ultimatley a wonderful installment Molly Snow's Young Adult series. It's age appropriate for middle grade/young adults and I have no doubt that this series will be adored and cherished by that age group. It is also a clean series that adults will enjoy too.

Rating:



Buy Link:

No comments: