Tuesday, April 10, 2012

CBLS Virtual Book Tour - Review and Excerpt: Amber Riley's "The Flash Of A Firefly" (Kindred Blood, Book 1)


Title: The Flash of a Firefly (Kindred Blood, Book 1)
Author: Amber Riley
Publisher: Self
Length: Approx. 50,000 words
Genre: YA Paranormal/Fantasy
Review Copy Courtesy Of:  CBLS Virtual Book Tours

BLURB:

Trying to put his past behind him, Kaden moves to New York City where he creates a new life for himself. And that isn't easy, considering the fact that he's a six-hundred-year-old vampire who hasn't fed on a human in more than a century. Unfortunately, the past isn't something you can always escape from. When old enemies resurface, they come with a message. His master wants him back and refusing isn't an option.

Confronted with losing both his freedom, as well as the human that has captivated him, Kaden struggles to hold onto his humanity while controlling his darker side. He knows the showdown is inevitable. He must find a way to stand his ground.

EXCERPT:

Then, a hundred feet away, two figures slowed their pace to match mine. I clenched my jaw and forced my feet to keep moving forward. I hadn’t been looking forward to this day. I knew it would come sooner or later. I just wished that I had listened to my gut instinct in the first place.

Well, there was no going back now. I was within reach of them, and my blood was boiling under my skin.

“What are you doing here?” I snarled.

“It’s good to see you too, Kaden.”

Her hair tumbled down her back, and her jaw set as she forced her full red lips into a big smile. It was a face I hadn’t seen in over two centuries, one I could have gone a thousand lifetimes without seeing again.

“What are you doing here?” I repeated.

“Would you treat your own sister so coldly after all this time?” she asked in a sickeningly sweet voice.

“You’re no relation to me,” I growled through gritted teeth.

She smiled sarcastically. “We’ve come to take you home.”

Saph's Review:

"The Flash of a Firefly" is a quick and easy read and a definite must for vampire and werewolf lovers.  Kaden is a "runaway" vampire who fled head vamp Phoenix and his home country of Spain for a different and better life in New York City.  Everything was as good as it could be until Francesca, Davis, and the Marquis arrive to take him back to Phoenix.  Add in a cute human named Lyn and you have yourselves a nice little vampire story.  

Kaden is a low key vampire that runs a club in New York City called The Amaryllis.  He swore off human blood straight from the tap many years prior and kept to that until he met Lyn.  Lyn, the niece of an art dealer that Kaden uses, is in NYC to attend college.  She is your typical oblivious human, unaware of the various dangerous creatures of the night; that is until she is drawn into Kaden's world unceremoniously.  When all of Kaden's friends and acquaintances become targets by Francesca, Davis, and the Marquis, Kaden must realign his forces and hope he can trust everyone involved.

The author's writing style is great.  There aren't any awkward moments, incomplete thoughts, or incoherent sentences that leave you scratching your head or rereading passages 20 times in hopes that maybe you understand the ideas that the author was attempting to convey.  I loved the plot.  It was nice and solid and kept on the edge of your seat.  Just when you thought the story would go one direction, it did a 180 and you were off in another direction.

A definite must for your vampire/werewolf collection.

I will be review Books 2 & 3, The Land of Tears, and The Well of Truth in the forthcoming months so stay tuned!

A favorite quote:  

"If she cried, I was out of there. There was nothing worse than a crying female. I would rather stab my own eyes out with a hot poker than deal with that." (A. Riley, 2012, pg. 19)

Rating:



ABOUT THE AUTHOR: 

Amber Riley has enjoyed writing short stories since childhood and is happiest with a cat in her lap. Born and raised in Central New York, she is currently living in Germany with her new son and husband, a Seabee with the US Navy.

Email - Amber_Riley@live.com

Website/Blog - http://kindredbloodtrilogy.blogspot.com/

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/KindredBloodTrilogy

Twitter - https://twitter.com/#!/AmberR_Riley

Buy Links:

Amazon Kindle:

Amazon Paperback:

Barnes & Noble:

2 comments:

Amber Riley said...

Thanks! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :)

Sapphyria said...

You're welcome! :)